Dr. Daniel S. Chertow is a Tenure-Track Investigator in the Critical Care Medicine Department at the NIH Clinical Center and in the Laboratory of Immunoregulation at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
CAPT Chertow is an officer in the United States Public Health Service (USPHS), a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation, and a Fellow in the American College of Critical Care Medicine and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
CAPT Chertow received his undergraduate degree in Sociology from Boston College, his Medical Degree from Northwestern University, and his Masters in Public Health from the University of California, Berkeley. He completed internal medicine residency at the University of California, San Diego and fellowship training in Critical Care Medicine and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Johns Hopkins University, respectively. He additionally trained as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer at the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
CAPT Chertow's translational research program evaluates pathogenesis of critical illness due to severe emerging pathogens including Influenza A virus, Ebola virus, Zika virus, and severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 to guide improved clinical management.
Vannella KM, Oguz C, Stein SR, Pittaluga S, Dikoglu E, Kanwal A, Ramelli SC, Briese T, Su L, Wu X, Ramos-Benitez MJ, Perez-Valencia LJ, Babyak A, Cha NR, Chung JY, Ylaya K, Madathil RJ, Saharia KK, Scalea TM, Tran QK, Herr DL, Kleiner DE, Hewitt SM, Notarangelo LD, Grazioli A, Chertow DS. Evidence of SARS-CoV-2-Specific T-Cell-Mediated Myocarditis in a MIS-A Case. Front Immunol. 2021 Dec 9;12:779026. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2021.779026. eCollection 2021.PMID: 34956207.
Strich JR, Ramos-Benitez MJ, Randazzo D, Stein SR, Babyak A, Davey RT, Suffredini AF, Childs RW, Chertow DS. Fostamatinib Inhibits Neutrophils Extracellular Traps Induced by COVID-19 Patient Plasma: A Potential Therapeutic. J Infect Dis. 2021 Mar 29;223(6):981-984. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiaa789.PMID: 33367731 Free PMC article.
Vannella KM, Stein S, Connelly M, Swerczek J, Amaro-Carambot E, Coyle EM, Babyak A, Winkler CW, Saturday G, Gai ND, Hammoud DA, Dowd KA, Valencia LP, Ramos-Benitez MJ, Kindrachuk J, Pierson TC, Peterson KE, Brenchley JM, Whitehead SS, Khurana S, Herbert R, Chertow DS. Nonhuman primates exposed to Zika virus in utero are not protected against reinfection at 1 year postpartum. Sci Transl Med. 2020 Oct 28;12(567):eaaz4997. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aaz4997.PMID: 33115950.
Von Kohorn I, Stein SR, Shikani BT, Ramos-Benitez MJ, Vannella KM, Hewitt SM, Kleiner DE, Alejo JC, Burbelo P, Cohen JI, Wiedermann BL, Chertow DS. In Utero Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infection. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2020 Dec 31;9(6):769-771. doi: 10.1093/jpids/piaa127.PMID: 33089311 Free PMC article.
Khurana S, Ravichandran S, Hahn M, Coyle EM, Stonier SW, Zak SE, Kindrachuk J, Davey RT Jr, Dye JM, Chertow DS. Longitudinal Human Antibody Repertoire against Complete Viral Proteome from Ebola Virus Survivor Reveals Protective Sites for Vaccine Design. Cell Host Microbe. 2020 Feb 12;27(2):262-276.e4. doi: 10.1016/j.chom.2020.01.001.PMID: 32053790.
Barnes KG, Kindrachuk J, Lin AE, Wohl S, Qu J, Tostenson SD, Dorman WR, Busby M, Siddle KJ, Luo CY, Matranga CB, Davey RT, Sabeti PC, Chertow DS. Evidence of Ebola Virus Replication and High Concentration in Semen of a Patient During Recovery. Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1400-1403.
Kash JC, Walters KA, Kindrachuk J, Baxter D, Scherler K, Janosko KB, Adams RD, Herbert AS, James RM, Stonier SW, Memoli MJ, Dye JM, Davey RT Jr, Chertow DS, Taubenberger JK. Longitudinal peripheral blood transcriptional analysis of a patient with severe Ebola virus disease. Sci Trans Med. 2017; 9(385). pii: eaai9321. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aai9321.
Chertow DS, Nath A, Suffredini AF, Danner RL, Reich DS, Bishop RJ, Childs RW, Arai AE, Palmore TN, Lane HC, Fauci AS, Davey RT. Severe Meningoencephalitis in a Case of Ebola Virus Disease. Ann Intern Med. 2016; 165: 301-4.
Chertow DS, Kindrachuk J, Sheng ZM, Pujanauski LM, Cooper K, Nogee D, Claire MS, Solomon J, Perry D, Sayre P, Janosko KB, Lackemeyer MG, Bohannon JK, Kash JC, Jahrling PB, Taubenberger JK. Influenza A and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus co-infection in rhesus macaques - A model of severe pneumonia. Antiviral Res. 2016; 129: 120-9.
Chertow DS, Kleine C, Edwards JK, Scaini R, Giuliani R, Sprecher A. Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa – Clinical Manifestations and Management. N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 2054-7.
Visit PubMed.gov for a full list of CAPT Chertow's publications.
- USPHS Presidential Unit Citation, COVID-19 Pandemic Response, 2021
- USPHS Unit Commendation Award, NIH COVID-19 Critical Care Team, 2021
- USPHS COVID-19 Campaign Medal, 2021
- USPHS National Emergency Preparedness Award (NEPA), CAP Team, 2020
- USPHS Global Response Service Award, Ebola Response in West Africa, 2017
- USPHS Unit Commendation Award, NIAID Ebola Clinical Research, 2017
- USPHS Meritorious Service Medal, US Ebola Response Leadership, 2017
- USPHS Presidential Unit Citation, West Africa Ebola Outbreak Response, 2015
- USPHS Unit Commendation Award, 2012
- USPHS Citation Award, 2011
- USPHS Field Medical Readiness, 2011
- USPHS Commissioned Corps Training Ribbon, 2011
- USPHS Unit Commendation Award, 2010
- USPHS Unit Commendation Award, 2005
- NHLBI Director's Award, COVID-19 response, 2021
- NIH Clinical Center CEO Award, COVID IMC Physician Coverage Team, 2020
- NIH Clinical Center CEO Award, ICU COVID Response Team, 2020
- NIAID Merit Award, Gene Expression in a Patient with Ebola Virus Team, 2018
- NIAID Division of Clinical Research, Letter of appreciation Ebola support, 2016
- NIH Clinical Center Best Mentor Award, Summer Internship Program, 2015
- NIH Clinical Center Director’s Award, Clinical Center Ebola preparedness, 2014
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 10/20/2022