Welcome to the NIH Clinical Center (Bldg. 10) at the National Institutes of Health!
Thank You for Agreeing to Participate in Clinical Research
On this page:
|Getting to the NIH
|NIH Campus Access and Clinical Center Parking
|Arriving at the Clinical Center
|What to Bring to Your Visit
|What NOT to Bring to Your Visit
|Patient Services and Amenities
Getting to the NIH
All patients, visitors and employees must go through security to enter the NIH campus. The NIH is a Federal agency and security measures, including inspection of vehicles and persons, have been implemented to ensure the safety of our staff and visitors. Visitors 16 years and older must provide a current form of government issued identification such as a driver’s license or passport. Visitors under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Please allow at least 45 minutes (or as otherwise directed by your research team) to clear security, park your car and arrive at your first appointment.
More information about Campus Access and Security is available.
An interactive virtual tour of the NIH Clinical Center is also available.
NIH Campus Access and Clinical Center Parking
There are three campus access points available to patient and patient visitors (see map for more details). For those coming by personal vehicle or taxi, we have a designated Patient Entrance that is open from 6 am - 10 pm daily. Complimentary valet parking is available at the Clinical Center (Main Entrance) Monday - Friday, 6 am - 7 pm. Patient self-parking is available around the clock in the garage located directly under the building, accessed via Memorial Drive.
More information about Vehicle Access is available.
Metro riders can access the NIH campus via the Medical Center stop on the Red Line.
Free Campus shuttles are available from the Metro in addition to shuttles from BWI Marshall, Reagan National, and Dulles International airports and many local hotels. View the NIH Shuttle Services schedule.
More information about Pedestrian Access is available.
The free wayfinding app "NIHCCTakeMeThere" is available.
More information about Getting Around the Hospital is available.
Visit NIH Traffic for the most up-to-date information related to parking, traffic and associated construction.
Map of Temporary Closure and Detour Route Effective January 16, 2024
Arriving at the Clinical Center
If you arrive during business hours (Monday - Friday, 7 am - 5 pm), a member of our Hospitality team will greet you at the Information Desk (located on P1 and inside the Main Entrance) and guide you to Admissions. If you arrive after business hours or on the weekends/holidays, please report to Admissions on the first floor (behind the fish tank) for registration. Admissions is open around the clock and can be reached at 301-496-3141.
The Admissions staff will meet with you for about 20 minutes to review your personal information in a private room. You will be given a Patient Handbook which is also available online with other helpful information.
What to Bring to Your Visit
- Valid, government-issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s license, passport) for those 16 years and older.
- Legal documents (e.g., advance directive/living will, power of attorney, guardianship/custody documents), if applicable.
- List of current medications (name, dosage amounts and frequency).
- Name(s), address(es) and phone number(s)for referring medical professionals to receive information about your visit.
Check with your research team to find out if there are specific items you should or should not bring in addition to this checklist.
What NOT to Bring to Your Visit
- Valuables (e.g., jewelry, large sums of money)
- Alcohol (open or sealed), Marijuana/Cannabis(medical or recreational)
- Weapons of any kind (e.g., firearms, explosives, knives with blades over 2.5 inches, archery equip.)
- Please note the NIH Smoking Policy
- The NIH Tobacco-Free Policy went into effect on Oct. 1, 2008. This Policy prohibits the use of all tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco, e-cigarettes, etc.) while on the NIH Bethesda campus. This includes the use of these products while in a personal vehicle located on the campus. It is the responsibility of every employee, contractor, guest and visitor to follow this Policy.
Patient Services and Amenities
- ATM and newspaper machines
- Bed-side 'smart' TVs
- Business Center and free, facility-wide WiFi
- Café and two full-menu cafeterias
- C.A.R.E. Channel/channel 8 on all hospital televisions for relaxing imagery, music
- Children's off-unit playroom and playground
- Gift shops and convenience store
- Hospitality Services staff
- Interpreter programs
- NIHCC TakeMeThere mobile application (website) for indoor and outdoor routing
- Patient Representative - 301-496-2626
- Patient travel office
- Pharmacy services
- Relaxation room
- Recreation activities and gym
- Spiritual care services
- Taxis and shuttles
Please arrive to the NIH Campus at least 45 minutes prior to your first appointment to allow sufficient time to clear security, park your car and complete patient registration.
NIH is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking is permitted directly outside the campus; exceptions for patient tobacco use may be discussed with your NIH care provider.
For additional assistance, call Admissions at 301-496-3141.