CONTACT USCall toll free: 1-800-411-1222
(TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-866-411-1010)
Se habla español.
Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEARCH THE STUDIESYou can search the collection of research studies being conducted at the NIH Clinical Center at Search the Studies. In addition, clinicaltrials.gov provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
Help Us Learn More About Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
Healthy Volunteers Needed
NIH Clinical Center seeks Healthy Volunteers for an inpatient study on myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Researchers hope this information will help them to better understand this debilitating syndrome.
You may be eligible, if you:
- Are healthy and between the ages of 18 and 60
- Have completed the 7th grade or higher
- Are able to stay at the NIH Clinical Center as an inpatient for study visits
You may NOT be eligible, if you:
- Have a medical condition that causes fatigue
- Are pregnant, breast feeding, or trying to become pregnant during the 6 month period of the study
- Are unable to undergo an MRI scan
- A pre-screening phone interview
- A 5 -10 day inpatient visit with up to 8 hours of testing each day which includes:
- brain imaging studies using MRI
- blood, urine, saliva, and spinal fluid collection
- a tilt table test
- an activity diary to complete at home
- A second, 5 -10 day inpatient stay with 8 hours of testing each day and overnight measurements which include:
- performing vigorous exercise for periods of 10 -15 minutes
- sleeping in a room that measures how the body uses energy
- having brain imaging studies, brain transcranial magnetic stimulation and collection of spinal fluid
No cost for study-related tests and procedures and you may receive compensation for your participation.
Location: The NIH Clinical Center, America’s Research Hospital, is located in Bethesda, Maryland on the Metro red line (Medical Center stop).
For more information:
NIH Clinical Center
Office of Patient Recruitment
TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing: 1-866-411-1010
Se habla español
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 03/07/2019