CONTACT USCall toll free: 1-800-411-1222
(TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-866-411-1010)
Se habla español.
Or e-mail: email@example.com
SEARCH THE STUDIESYou can search the collection of research studies being conducted at the NIH Clinical Center at Search the Studies. In addition, clinicaltrials.gov provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
Healthy Adults Needed for Brain Imaging Study
Join NIH Research
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland seeks healthy adult volunteers for a brain imaging research study. Researchers are using positron emission tomography (PET) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to understand how dopamine is associated with learning, memory, and habit formation. Researchers will use PET and MRI imaging to measure dopamine with and without methylphenidate to better understand the role of dopamine in normal brain function.
All study-related tests are provided at no cost to you. Compensation is provided.
You may be eligible for this study if you are:
- Healthy and 18 – 55 years old
- In good health without significant medical problems
- Currently not pregnant or breastfeeding
You may not qualify if you:
- Are unable to undergo an MRI
- Are unable to lay flat on your back for at least two hours
- Have a psychiatric or neurological disorder
- Have an alcohol or drug use disorder
During the research study, you will:
- Have a screening visit that will consist of a physical exam, medical history, and blood and urine tests
- Have 3 outpatient visits at the NIH Clinical Center for PET/MRI scans
- Receive methylphenidate through an I.V. placed in your arm to evaluate dopamine levels in brain function while undergoing PET/MRI scans
Location: The NIH Clinical Center, America's Research Hospital, is located in Bethesda, Maryland on the Metro red line (Medical Center stop).
For more information:
NIH Clinical Center Office of Patient Recruitment
1-800-411-1222 (refer to study #17-AA-0178)
TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing: 1-866-411-1010
Se habla español
Or go online:
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
Print the Flyer
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 03/07/2019