The Biostatistics and Clinical Epidemiology Service was created in July 1999, and was officially announced in the October 1999 issue of Clinical Center News. Statistician Robert Wesley, PhD, and clinical epidemiologist Deloris Koziol, PhD, MPH, were the initial staff members of the new service. After Dr. Wesley, the Service was led by Dr. Paul Wakim until April 2023. In 2023, the team welcomed Dr. Nusrat Rabbee as the new Chief.
The Biostatistics and Clinical Epidemiology Service promotes the practice of Statistics & Data Science in good clinical research to improve human health at the NIH. Its mission is to:
- To provide leadership and expertise in the design, data monitoring, analysis, and reporting of biomedical research studies
- To develop and implement innovative approaches for the design, monitoring, analysis, and reporting of biomedical research studies
- To collaborate with other scientists on the full spectrum of study conduct (i.e., protocol design, study execution, data quality, statistical analysis, interpretation of study results, and writing/presentation of findings) in the spirit of good interdisciplinary teamwork
- To provide education and training relevant to statistical, data science and epidemiological aspects of biomedical research.
The BCES vision is to facilitate the application of highest quality statistics and data science for enhancing clinical research at the NIH Clinical Center More specifically, we, BCES staff members, assist NIH investigators with the design and statistical analysis aspects of their research, i.e. we help:
- Formulate the primary research question
- Design the study to address the question most efficiently
- Analyze the data to address the question most accurately
- Publish the results most clearly and responsibly
We provide services to Clinical Center staff, fellows and interns, as well as investigators from other NIH institutes and centers. Our services range from one-hour consultations to multi-month, or even multi-year collaborations. We also teach statistics, data science and epidemiology concepts to non-statisticians within the Clinical Center and other NIH institutes, as well as outside NIH.
Please send email to CC-BCES@mail.nih.gov to reach the team for consultation requests.
Nusrat Rabbee, PhD
The BCES office is located in Suite 9D38 of the Magnuson Clinical Center (Building 10).