Clinical Center Summer Internships
Clinical Center Interns
Interested in summer research? Here are a few quick facts:
- The Clinical Center is one of many NIH institutes and centers that participates in the NIH Summer Internship Program.
- The NIH Summer Internship Program is open to high school through professional school students.
- Research opportunities are available throughout the NIH, most of which are located in Bethesda, MD. View this list of other locations throughout the country.
- The Clinical Center, the NIH's research hospital, is one of the research facilities in the NIH Summer Internship Program. At the Clinical Center, interns are placed with various departments such as Bioethics, Research Informatics, Rehabilitation Medicine, Social Work, Nursing, and Radiology and Imaging Sciences.
Interested in applying to the Summer Internship Program?
- The NIH-wide central application opens in mid-November and closes March 1 each year.
- Applications consist of a personal statement, letters of reference, and your grades.
- Clinical Center (CC) Summer Internship Program offers summer internships to students who are U.S citizens or permanent residents and are currently enrolled in high school, college, graduate programs, and health professional schools including nursing and medicine.
Approximately 40 students are selected each year to participate in the Clinical Center's internship experience. At the Clinical Center— the nation's largest hospital devoted entirely to clinical research—students work with mentors who are researchers and health professionals; participate in the NIH Research Poster Day with results generated by their work in this summer program; and attend weekly lectures presented by NIH investigators.
Highlights of Previous CC Summer Interns
- 2016 Poster Titles
- 2015 Poster Titles
- LabTV Video [disclaimer]: Eunah Lee, Harvard College. 2014 CC Summer Intern, Department of Transfusion Medicine
- LabTV Video [disclaimer]: Cornell Brooks, The Potomac School. 2014 CC Summer Intern, Department of Laboratory Medicine
2017 Summer Internship Experience
The start date for the 2017 program is June 12, 2017. The summer internship is 40 hours a week for 8 weeks. Selected students must participate in the program for eight, uninterrupted weeks, leaving no earlier than August 4, 2017.
Apply to the NIH Summer Internship Program: November-March 1
The 2017 application will open in November 2016 and close March 1, 2017. To view tips for submitting your application, please visit the NIH Summer Internship Program website. Students will receive notice of application acceptance by May.
For more information, please email the CC Summer Internship Program staff.