Facts at a Glance
The Clinical Center consists of two main facilities:
The original Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center is a 14-story, 2.5-million-square-feet building made from seven million bricks, with more than 5,000 rooms, nine miles of corridor, 15 outpatient clinics and a Department of Laboratory Medicine housed in a space the size of a football field. The 870,000-square-foot Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center has 200 inpatient beds and 93 day-hospital stations. Groundbreaking was in November 1997. Dedication ceremonies were Sept. 22, 2004.
Did you know the Clinical Center had:
- More than 10,400 new patients in 2016
- More than 5,200 inpatient admissions in 2016
- More than 100,100 outpatient visits in 2016
- An average hospital stay of 8.7 days
- Some 1,200 credentialed physicians, dentists, and PhD researchers
- Some 620 nurses
- 450 allied health-care professionals, such as pharmacists, dietitians, medical technologists, imaging technologists, therapists, medical records and medical supply staff
- More than 1,600 laboratories conducting basic and clinical research
As a research facility, only patients with the precise kind or stage of illness under investigation are admitted for treatment. There are no labor and delivery services and no other services common to community hospitals. Referral by a medical practitioner familiar with the patient's care is preferable. However, in certain instances, self-referral may be appropriate.
Areas of clinical study include:
Alcohol abuse and alcoholism
Allergy, arthritis and musculoskeletal and skin disease
Deafness and other Communication disorders;
Dental and orofacial disorders
Digestive and kidney diseases
Heart, lung, and blood diseases
Additionally, the NIH Clinical Center is seeking to improve the visibility of minority health disparities research and other health disparities research as well as expand the role of such research in learning why some groups have disproportionately high rates of disease.
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 07/12/2017